Thursday, October 24, 2013

What is a Flexitarian?

"Thou shouldst eat to live; not live to eat" ~ Marcus T. Cicero

  
                                   By Dana R. Arevalo

Hello.  I can't believe it is quickly approaching the end of October. Many are preparing for the upcoming holidays and cold weather.  I, myself, just turned on the heat in my house yesterday.  Please don't make the approaching WINTER an excuse to hide under bulky clothes.  If anything, get yourself in tip-top shape before the New Year. However, keep in mind it will take both DIET and exercise to get you there.  It cannot just be one or the other.  Stop living to EAT...

We have many choices as to what we can feed ourselves and our families.  Our contributing writer, Marc A. tells his story about becoming a flexitarian

About 2 years ago, during the summer of 2011, I decided I was going to become a vegetarian. Over the course of those 3 months, I slowly phased out meat adding one extra day without meat every 2 weeks until eventually I was meatless everyday. I must admit, it felt awesome. I felt lighter on my feet. I didn't get that sleepy feeling (known to some as "the itis") when I ate too much and I had a lot of energy. Now I don't really blame the bad feelings solely on the fact that I consumed meat with regularity but more on the level of fattening (or fatteningly prepared, see: deep fried) meats I consumed with regularity. This and a desire to pursue a more plant based lifestyle is what led me to decide to become a vegetarian. Read the full article at Yahoo Voices! Dieting and Weight Loss

Before Marc introduced us to what a flexitarian was in his article, I didn't know the term existed.  According to US News and World Report, a flexitarian is a marriage of two words - flexible and vegetarian.  The best news, for meat lovers, is one does not have to rid meat entirely from their diet.  It is the best of both worlds a plant based diet and an occasional meat.  It seems to broaden ones choices.  I had a childhood friend who became a complete vegetarian for over ten years until her last pregnancy when she decided she needed a hamburger.  If only she knew what a flexitarian was.

Are you a flexitarian?  Please share your story.

As always, thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment